Consume less while staying overnight and be more eco friendlyStaying away in a hotel can consume a lot more waste than you might think. You might be thinking that you just sleep in the bed and leave, but there's more to the process. When you arrive in the hotel, you check in and enter your room. Once in the room, the temperature might be adjusted, the lights are turned on in every corner, the TV is left going, and all the free toiletries are scoffed up.
What can you do to lighten your load on your hotel stay?
To make your hotel stay a little greener, try out the following:
- Reuse your towels. If you're staying in a hotel more than one night, hanging your towel back on the rack universally means "I'll use it again." That way, you'll be conserving extra water and energy from washing an extra towel.
- Conserve extra water by limiting your shower time.
- Opt out of receiving a newspaper if possible. Save a tree.
- Get paperless billing for your hotel stay. You can often avoid getting a bill if you use express checkout.
- Take the stairs. If you're able, spare some electricity and walk the stairs. It's good for you!
- Don't take all of the toiletries in the room unless you really need them. Besides, the quality of the hotel toiletries isn't something that you'll want to remember when you get home!
- Bring your own food. Vending machine snacks are full of excessive packaging, not to mention they're notoriously unhealthy. Pack up snacks in reusable containers of various sizes and you'll be eating better, saving money, and doing a good green deed by avoiding all of that packaging.
- Turn down the AC or heat in your room. Crack a window if possible and get some fresh air! Turn down thermostat just a few degrees in the cold weather and you'll sleep more comfortably and save energy.
- Don't have the bedding changed unless necessary. One room's hotel bedding can often take up one normal sized washing machine!
- Instead of using disposable styrofoam coffee or water cups, bring your own reusable mug or plastic cup. It tastes better that way anyway.